President Zuma in Court on charges of fraud, corruption and racketeering. 

Former South African president Jacob Zuma in the dock at the Durban High Court on 6 April 2018 for a preliminary hearing related to charges of fraud, corruption and racketeering. Picture: AFP.
Picture: AFP.

DURBAN – Former president Jacob Zuma’s corruption case has been provisionally adjourned to 8 June.

The matter was heard in less than half an hour in the Durban High Court on Friday morning.

Zuma is facing 16 charges stemming from the arms deal almost a decade ago.

The charges against him were dropped in 2009, however, National Prosecuting Authority head Shaun Abrahams announced last month that they would prosecute the former president.

State prosecutor Billy Downer explained why they want a postponement.

“The purpose of the adjournment is two-fold. Firstly, in respect of accused number one, Mr Zuma, we’ve been informed by our learned friends for Mr Zuma the he wishes to bring a review application on the decision to prosecute him again and in that respect we’ve been informed that they hope to finalise the review papers by the middle of May.”

VIDEO: Jacob Zuma in Court

Schabir Shaik was convicted to 15 years in prison for his involvement in facilitating a bribe for Zuma from French arms manufacturer Thales in exchange for political protection during the investigation into the arms deal.

Speaking to his supporters outside the court, the formal president said he has been wounded by people he grew up with.He says that he is facing the same charges that he’s always been accused of but have never been proven.

Zuma has told thousands of supporters that the reinstatment of corruption charges against him is politically motivated considering the timing now.

The former statesman says he hopes God strengthens his supporters. He still has a lot of supporters among the South African people or maybe people just turned up to see what happens to him.

“Thank you very much, especially for your prayers and may God give you strength.”

Jacob Zuma address the crowd after his court appearance outside the Durban high court. Picture: Ihsaan Haffajee/EWN.

Hundreds marched to the court earlier this morning where the former president finally appeared in the dock, after almost a decade, over charges related to the arms deal.

The corruption case has now been provisionally adjourned to 8 June.

State prosecutor Billy Downer explained why they want a postponement

“The purpose of the adjournment is two-fold. Firstly, in respect of accused number one, Mr Zuma, we’ve been informed by our learned friends for Mr Zuma the he wishes to bring a review application on the decision to prosecute him again and in that respect we’ve been informed that they hope to finalise the review papers by the middle of May.”

More to Follow


Formal President Jacob Zuma’s life in brief courtesy AFP


Jacob Zuma's political career. Picture: AFP

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.