Conor McGregor the Irish UFC super star went completely mad at Thursday’s MMA media day for the upcoming UFC 223 fight in Brooklyn on Saturday, the Notorious attacked a bus full of rival MMA fighters, leaving them covered in shattered glass and one with injury on the face. Conor is not on the UFC 223 fight card for Saturday in Brooklyn.
Police and EMS were called according to UFC president Dana White, who said that there is a warrant out for McGregor’s arrest. However, an NYPD spokesman would not confirm that there is a warrant for McGregor’s arrest, instead saying that the investigation is ongoing.
You can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief and this was a real bad career move for him – White said.
Why he went mad
According to White ruling, the Irishman was scheduled to lose his UFC lightweight belt on Saturday to the winner of the title bout between Max Holloway and Khabib Nurmagomedov.
White previously ruled that McGregor would have to forfeit the belt to whomever won the fight because the 29-year-old has not participated in a UFC event since 2016 – nearly a year before his doomed boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August of 2017.
The Notorious reacted angrily at the ruling and made his anger known on twitter before the open confrontation.
UFC president Dana White told the website MMAjunkie that a member of a credentialed website let McGregor and his entourage of about 20 people into the arena through a door during a media day event.
The group went down to the loading dock where some fighters who were to participate in UFC 223 on Saturday were getting on buses.
McGregor’s group attacked a bus using trash cans, metal barricades and a two-wheeled dolly, White said.
“This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” White told MMAjunkie.
“This was a real bad career move for him,” White said.
White said McGregor had “some sort of beef” with lightweight fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was on the bus.
‘ White continued. ‘Broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa real bad. He cut his head and cut his face.
Rose Namajunas was apparently almost hit. She’s super upset right now… Hurt one of our employees, broke one of our employee’s knuckles.’
Police wanted to question McGregor in connection with the incident at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, according to an NYPD source with knowledge of the event.
McGregor allegedly threw something through the window of a minibus, injuring a passenger, according to the source.
Chiesa later said on Twitter that the New York State Athletic Commission determined he would not be allowed to fight on Saturday.
“The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow,” UFC said in a statement.
Flyweight Ray Borg, who was scheduled to face Brandon Moreno, is also unfit to fight due to multiple corneal abrasions, according to the UFC.
“Also removed from the card was the featherweight bout between Artem Lobov and Alex Caceres due to Lobov’s involvement in the incident,” the UFC said. It did not provide details on Lobov’s role in the incident.
“UFC 223 will proceed as scheduled with 10 bouts,” the UFC said. “Moving to the Pay-Per-View main card is the featherweight bout between Zabit Magomedsharipov and Kyle Bochniak.”
McGregor last competed eight months ago, losing to undefeated Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match that reportedly paid Mayweather more than $100 million and McGregor at least $30 million.
Conor landed himself in trouble with NYPD
Conor later handed himself to New York Police Department after footage after footage that appear to show him throwing a railing at a rival’s bus.
The Irish UFC super star has now been charged with three counts assault over the bay scuffle in Brooklyn, New York. He is also accused of one count of criminal mischief, NYPD said.
The mixed martial arts fighter had been striped of his light weight tittle with immediate effect, its no longer a case of waiting for the winner of the fight on Saturday.
If this situation is not carefully handled by McGregor and his legal team, this could be the beginning of the end for the notorious. There will be countless court cases on the scuffle that could actually ruin him completely. Chances of him ever fighting in the UFC might be gone with the wind and with a fighter injured in the face and unable to fight on Saturday as declared unfit by New York State Athletic Commission is another case for loss of earning on top of the bodily harm case. One UFC staff injured and another fighter card withdrawn and not able to fight on Saturday. This is a serious unexpected turn for the 29 years old MMA star. What in the name of Holy God was he thinking?
[…] Atletico Madrid ready to offer €110m to sign Paulo Dybala this summer Conor McGregor MMA super star charged with three count assault over bus attack […]