More than 50 dead in Las Vegas massacre

What we know so far

50 dead, 400 injured
Shooting at Las Vegas gig
Deadliest shooting in modern US history
Concertgoers ‘horrified’
Police believe the gunman shot himself

A gunman perched on the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas hotel-casino unleashed a hail of bullets on an outdoor country music festival below, killing at least 50 people as hundreds of concertgoers screamed for cover.

It was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.At least 515 others were injured in the Sunday night attack, authorities said.SWAT teams using explosives stormed the gunman’s hotel room in the sleek, gold-coloured glass skyscraper and found he had killed himself before they got to him, authorities said.

He had as many as 10 guns with him, including rifles, they said.

Its not entirely illegal for people to have those kind of weapons there but its completely wrong and illegal to stock such Arsenal in other to kill fellow human being for no reason whatsoever.

There was no word on a motive for the attack. Aaron Rouse, the FBI agent in charge in Las Vegas, said investigators saw no immediate evidence connecting it to an international terror organization, despite a claim of responsibility from the Islamic State group.

 

Mayor Carolyn Goodman said the attack was the work of a “crazed lunatic full of hate.”Country music star Jason Aldean was performing Sunday night at the end of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival in front of a crowd of more than 22,000 when the gunman opened fire from inside the 44-floor Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across the street.

 

 

Suspect Stephen Paddock lived in a retirement community home in Mesquite, in Clark County, Nevada, which he shared with Marilou Danley – who police believe was not involved in the attack.

Mesquite police chief Troy Tanner says there was “no movement” inside the property, located about 80 miles north of Las Vegas.

Detectives from Las Vegas are at the scene.

Homeland Security: No ‘specific credible threat’ to other public venues in US after Vegas shooting

Gunman had ‘no ties to international terror’

Concertgoer Christine describes a man shot in front of her amid the ‘screaming and yelling” during the attack.

She told local Vegas broadcaster 8 News NOW: “There were people all over – on the floor, the grassy area in front of the stage – some were falling, some were screaming and yelling.

“We were in this tower up on top, everyone said ‘hit the floor’.

“So everyone was literally laying on top of each other, trying to get out of the way.

“The shots just kept coming.
“When we got down, there was a man that was shot, right there,” she continues, pointing to the ground in front of her.

“They were trying to take him out.

“He was all bloody and he was unconscious. And one of my friends was helping him out.”

Mandalay Bay Hotel remains in lock down

What we know about the gunman

Police have named local resident Stephen Paddock as the lone gunman who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history.

The 64-year-old fired down on country music fans attending the Route 91 Harvest Festival on the Las Vegas Strip from the 32nd floor of the 43-storey Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

Paddock’s brother, Eric Paddock, who lives in Florida, told the Orlando Sentinel: “We are completely dumbfounded. We can’t understand what happened.”

Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo tells reporters officers found the suspect, Stephen Paddock, dead in his hotel room. They also discovered at least 10 rifles.

US records show Paddock lived in a three-year-old, $396,000 (£297,554) two-bedroom home in the tiny desert community of Mesquite, 80 miles north east of Las Vegas near the Arizona state border.

He lived in the property in Babbling Brook Court with Marilou Danley, 62, records show.Police said he was a retiree with no criminal record in the Nevada county where he lived.

He was acting alone despite Islamic State group claim of responsibility, they said the gunman was “a soldier” who had converted to Islam months ago. But it provided no evidence. In his hotel room officers found numerous firearms.

Robert Hayes, was at the concert with his wife, and tells Fox News survivors were using tables and whatever they could get their hands on to help the injured to safety.
expanded thumbnail

President trump address the nation from white house on the shooting

“In moments of tragedy and horror, America comes together as one. And it always has.” He ordered flags flown at half-staff.

World leaders, former American presidents and the pope express their thoughts and prayers

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says his thoughts are with those affected

Pope: Vegas shooting a ‘senseless tragedy’

Pope Francis says he is “deeply saddened” by the attack and sends “the assurance of his spiritual closeness to all those affected”.

Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said authorities believe it was a “lone wolf” attack. And the U.S. Homeland Security Department said there was no “specific credible threat” involving other public venues in the U.S.

Couples held hands as they ran through the dirt lot. Faces were etched with shock and confusion, and people wept and screamed. Some were bloodied, and some were carried out by fellow concertgoers.

 

Dozens of ambulances took away the wounded, while some people loaded victims into their cars and drove them to the hospital.

Police shut down busy Las Vegas Boulevard, and federal and state authorities converged on the scene.

Interstate 15 was briefly closed, and flights at McCarran International Airport were suspended.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.